Monday, January 21, 2008

GE 20km and 30km

I have convinced myself that I'm a lousy runner. Run-walk-run-walk, just a few hundred meter pain here, pain there, struggle....run 50m... struggle.... I'm a good long-distance WALKER - no problem walking a marathon BUT RUNNING, in May Senn's word's I'm not made out to be a gazelle....
Great Eastern Run, Kalam registered months ago, me ---- nah, way too far such distances...
Yet little else to do that weekend, few races till april.
Got a message from Adrian on facebook inviting to join the run. Had a peep at the GE website ohyoh registration closed. But Aini told me registration was extended for one week. So I got myself registered for the 20km. Had nightmares about being the last runner, have the motorcycle with the flag follow me for 20km.
Anyway decided i should be able to run all the DOWNHILL parts and maintain a brisk walk UPHILL. Lots of runners at the startline, Kalam took off for the 30km at 6am.
Start at 6.30am, just take it easy. I'm used to being one of the last stragglers in triathlon races but in this run there were so many runners that ekceli I'm not that bad. Others started walking way before I did. I kept to my plan and the whole event went quite smooth. Lots of familiar faces during the run, almost like a reunion. Bit of cramps the last 5km but nothing serious. Finished the run in just under 3hrs (I think, forgot to check), got a medal and to my astonishment saw lots of people finishing behind me......
Actually started thinking of doing KLIM half marathon.
And of course had a nice time meeting up with friends afterwards: Juli, Aini, Neeza, Jaja, Karoline, Sandy, May Senn, Karen, Shazly, Ihsal, Zul, Steve, Meta, Mac, Abu, Saiful, Ariff, Richard, Azwar, Eugene L, Azhar, Adrian, Simon Cross, Sharom, Wong, Adzim, Doc Hisham, Jamil....sorry if i missed someone...

Kalam had some big news on friday but I leave it to him to write his own story....
HONEY HAPPY BIRTHDAY (hihihi now you belong to the veteran category)
He's an ELITE VETERAN NOW

3 comments:

Azman said...

RAMAINYA ORANG!! And I'm stuck here down under. :(

The Editor said...

Nurina: U did extermely well, u strategy of walking up hill and running downhill works like a charm. Even my consistent jog cannot catch up with u. Give urself a pat on the back.

bola2api said...

yeah.. good strategy.. same like mine - run downhill!

actually last 4km is almost no uphills.. 2 km of downhill and 2km flat approximately.

good job lah u!