Monday, July 7, 2008

Another RM150 richer


Before the race

UPNM's triathletes, after the race
We arrived back from Kenyir late last night. The travelling can be as tiring as the triathlon itself.
Our race-report.
We left on fridaynight. Came home from work packed our bags and got in the car. We drove untill 2.30am. I had enormous difficulty keeping my eyes open but scared Kalam might fall asleep at wheel I forced myself to keep chatting. (Having worked nightshifts for many many years helps). We stopped at a guesthouse in Marang and slept till the next morning.
After breakfast we continued our journey.

Last year was the first time I visited Kenyir and to me it is one of the most beautifull spots in Malaysia. The views are breathtaking...

Rest of the day was spend registering for the race, sorting out racegear. Went for a boatride (triathletes turned pirates). And taking the kids for a swim. Steph, Dino and Sue Ee joined the waterfun. Steph showed me how she navigates while freestyling, a skill I still haven't mastered (but after Steph's instructions -with some practice- i think I can get the hang of it).

Evening the usual carbo-loading dinner. The food was nice but having only one buffet resulted in loooong queues. And the resort was apparently not informed that triathletes eat double the amount of 'normal' people. (They probably thought all these athletes must be super weight conscious). At least all got some food, some only side-dishes, others only main meal.....

Triathlons are addictive not only because of the sport but also because of the many nice people you get to meet. All of them with an 'can do' attitude and no-one belittles the accomplishments of others -instead we cheer loudly for each other....

Slept soundly on our rented houseboat.
My dear friends (and training-partners) Sue Ee and Xman

RACE-DAY. I have been really nervous about doing Kenyir tri. Having done the relay cycle-leg last year I knew only too well the hills ahead (and the previous year they nearly got the better of me).

But chatting away at the start-line Siok Bee gave me the clue for the event. She was chanting to herself 'I gotta learn to love this/ I gotta learn to love this' etc before the swim start. I started wondering why i was nervous, there is nobody to impress, my times are not gonna knock anyone over. So what if I'm the last finisher. I'm doing this because I enjoy it! All the years being cooped up at home with little kids, now I can finally enjoy being active again outdoors -and that is my passion, never mind times / placing and such.
Swim went okay, switched between breast stroke and freestyle, practising navigating skills (needs more practice - ended up in the rope a few times). Kept abreast with Sue Ee all the way.

Got on the bike but that first hill is daunting, phew so just push the bike. The rest of the cycling went quite well. I didn't push myself, just enjoyed the breeze and the beautifull scenery. Waving to all the friends overtaking or allready on the way back. saw Kimberly fly by with some relay-cyclists. This year I didn't struggle, just had fun (my only aim is the finish the race). Met up with another orang putih (we overtook each other a few times) -Chris. Hehe after chatting for 10 minutes we found out were both Dutch and switched to our mother tongue.
I think only 5 cars passed us during the race

Arrived at T2 with a few cyclists still behind me. Emma (the only female UPNM cadet active in this sport) accompagnied me the whole run. It was fun having someone along. My planned stategy was 'walk uphill /run downhill' which we maintained during the race. Gradually we counted down the km's. The last hill is really really nasty (even walking!).
I finished in 3.58hr, happy to finish below 4hrs. Hubby was waiting at the finish-line.
Prize giving was also fun. Emma's team won third prize (she swam the relay-leg earlier). My category had only 8 participants so I got the 8th place (and I'm RM150 richer hihi).

Danial had a good swim time (below 34min I think, those swimclasses are paying off)
After lunch went for another swim with the kids, before reluctantly climbing in the car for the long journey back.
Next year's Kenyir tri will be in March, I hope our family can stay a bit longer that time.


Enchanting beauty of Kenyir
Dayan, our family photographer forgot to take his camera. Pictures by Amir
See you next year in March

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey dutch mommy... prize money can pay for another month of swim classes :) hehe

zulhassan said...

jelousnya, memang duit tu.

Jaja Shah said...

yippe! well done nurina

miss u so much, cant wait to see u at PD!

oh btw, i buat relay team je (poyo kan terlebih excited) hehehe