Tuesday, July 24, 2007

We have lost one tri-athlete

On saturday Kalam, Danial and Dayan took part in thew Iron Hill run. A more convenient race site is not imaginable, the run starts a few hundred meters from our house. kalam 12 km, Danial 7km and Dayan 3km. Mama??? she had to go to work, no cuti on saturday
Kalam and Danial did fine.

Dayan"s arm is out of the cast since friday but he's still advised to wear a sling and rest the arm for another 2 weeks. I told him to just walk the 3 km, he was just a hundred meters from the finish line when a motorcyclist picked him up 'kasihan adik, tak payah-lah lari!'. No wonder there are so few good athletes in MAlaysia, kids are raised to become whoozies!!!

I just came across Azman's website with pics of our three youngest kids while they where playing on the beach in Port Dickson last month. (http://www.azmanrocks.blogpot.com/) Embarrassing but true.
This bunch can spend a whole day at the beach and not be bored for a moment, but take them shopping and they will start complaining the minute you walk into the mall.....

On saturday afternoon we left to Port Dickson. When we arrived it was raining cats and dogs, the sprint triahtlon just finished.
On sunday morning we left the three youngest members in the condo with Rahmah. Danial took part in the relay event as swimmer, teamed up with two of the UPNM kadets.
Kalam and me Olympic distance. None of the other triathlons in this country has anywhere near as many participants as Port Dickson Int. Triathlon.

For me it's my favorite triathlon for a sentimental reason:

First time I saw this event was in 2005 when we accompagnied some of the kadets. I remember so clearly looking in awe at the athletes, me an obese 40 somethin lady - a world apart.
In 2006 I took part as a swimmer in the relay event.
Still very overweight it was no easy task finding a swimsuit (there is a not lot of choice in swimsuits in Malaysia and big fat ladies simply don't swim). In the end I found a cheap blue men's swimtop in Giant, at least I could get into this one! Actually shy as hell to show myself in tight clothes but I really love swimming, so just push the thoughts aside. Quickly pull off my T-shirt at the pool side and jump-in fast as possible.
In 2006 we started in the marina, at the first turn I was the very last swimmer and could have hardly felt worse -who am I tryin to fool-. But shortly after I saw a big fellow holding on to a buoy and overtook, after that I managed to overtake quite a few more swimmers and came out the water in 37 minutes. What a adrenaline boost... That day Adib told me 'next year do sprint'. I told him never in a lifetime. Well I'm eating those words now.








Picture 'pinjam' from Shazly. Danial at the left, I'm hiding behind Azmar.


It was fun meeting up with old and new friends before the swim. Slowly more ladies are starting to join. It's great for me to meet these real action ladies. For years I felt suffocated mixing with local women -I simply don't have much to talk about with them-.
The swim went okay-lah, flattered to have Faie following me- of course soon as we were out of the water she left me far behind. Cycling also okay-lah, not exhausted, not much cramps in my legs, chain came off usual two times (KLUTZ when are u goin to learn to change gears properly).
Run was embarassing as usual, at least this time I didn't walk all the way, I did run on and off (more off than on of course). It was a lovely cool day but during the run it stated pouring, one of the police guys said to me 'Dah lah M'cik, hujan dah'. Malaysian manja attitude again ' I told him hujan is better than panas, and continued. Most tri-athletes had long finished their race and I met quite a few on their bikes, or cars going home. Thanks guys for all d support, tellin me to go on and finish the race. So finish I did -even got an applause- what a star. Time nearly 4 hrs I think.
I need to find time to train more and increase my speed cycling and start running of course. (Bought a pair of adidas super nova last month so the excuse of 'no shoes' doesn't apply anymore). Okay: from envious watcher to relay swimmer to OD-triathlete, next year time to belasah you all..........


After we reached home on sunday we got the news that one of the participants had drowned during the swimleg. I only know Zubir by face but I salute him and my prayers go to him and his family AL FATIHAH



The triathlon community is
planning a minute silence before the start of our next race in Desaru were we honour a fellow athlete

4 comments:

Abu Soffian said...

Nurina n Major...Congrats. Where is your next race ha...

nurina said...

Kalam is planning to do the long distance in Desaru. I'm far from ready for that, would likely drop off the bike half way. Not sure I can get cuti that weekend, if jadi do relay and sprint
See you in Desaru....

Azman said...

I've just found about your blog. Can't believe I have missed it. Will link you up in no time. :)

Oh btw, don't feel embarrassed. I'm still an old schooler who believes that children should grow up outside the house. Climb trees, play in the puddle, catching spiders, build a fire and bake potatoes on it.

And I enjoy seeing them play like that. So be proud. The D brothers are truly a rare breed nowadays.

bola2api said...

nurina,

i'm not able to do Desaru in august... so sorry can't revive the First Ladies.. hope u'll enjoy the event!